Supporting Children on the edge
Focal problem: Children and youth in the most under-served areas of Nifas Silk Lafto and Akaki/Kality Sub-cities are deprived of their basic needs and interest and are at risk of becoming further marginalized.
General Objective of the Project: Children and youth in Nifas Silk Lafto and Akaki Kality sub-cities live with their parents and cared for in a family and community environment, where men and women have equal status and where children and youth can develop their potential to become active members of the society.
Results (Expected Outcomes): The project is expected to bring about the following outcomes in the target area. These are:
▪ 2,500 children registered in formal or informal schools
▪ 5 schools and school clubs provided with financial and technical assistance to support children in difficult circumstances
▪ 1,000 OVC’s provided with educational support
▪ At least 900 cases will be addressed by the para-counselors
▪ 5 Toilets and 2 water points constructed in 5 schools
▪ 4 Alternative Basic Education(ABE) centers established in target area
▪ The link between the community and health workers (through CBHA’s and health
extension workers) strengthen.
▪ Established a link with NGO’s to equip the health facilities
▪ 5 toilets and 6 water points constructed for the community in the target area.
▪ 2000 Families practice RH and planned pregnancy
▪ 500 families understand and practice good parental styles
▪ In cooperation with Idres and local authorities, immigrants in the project area are settled and integrated in the community
▪ 200 selected youths are trained in vocational skill training and/or provided with entrepreneurship skills
▪ 75 youths are selected as role models
▪ 15 male groups that consist of an average of 5 members each, are organized as community agents who support women’s initiatives.
▪ 150 stories produced from the project (include the continuous use of the journalists in a joint work with other AC projects incl. SLTSSA and VOFAD)
Type and Number of Beneficiaries:
Type of Beneficiaries:Children, Women and Community members
Number of Beneficiaries: Direct Male 3,000 Female 4,250 Total 7,250
• 5000 Children and young people bellow the age of 18, which include
• 3200 is in the primary school age
• 1200 in preschool age
• 600 youth either in secondary school, high school or drop outs.
• 2000 Women and 250 men
• Duration of the Project: the project is designed for 3 years as of the date of
Signature of the project by the signatory parties
Status of the project: Ongoing